Tax season is upon us!
Here is a preliminary list of data needed to begin your accounting and tax work. Note that this is a general list and some items may not apply to you or your business:
- _____ Signed 2020 Engagement Letter.
- _____ A backup of your QuickBooks file – please indicate version of QuickBooks used as well as the password, if any – complete with 2020 transactions.
QB Version: ___________ QB Username: ___________ QB Password: ___________
**make sure prior year adjusting journal entries have been entered
- _____ If you are not providing a Quickbooks file, please provide a copy of your Trial Balance for 2020, Balance Sheet as of December 31, 2020 and Profit & Loss Statement for the period January 1, 2020 to December 31, 2020.
- _____ Confirm you bank accounts are reconciled as of December 31, 2020.
- _____ Amount of inventory on hand as of December 31, 2020 (if applicable).
- _____ List of all new assets and equipment acquired since January 1, 2020.
- _____ Confirm your credit card accounts are reconciled as of December 31, 2020.
- _____ Confirm your sales tax liability is accurate as of December 31, 2020.
- _____ Loan statements with outstanding balances as of December 31, 2020.
- _____ All filed quarterly payroll reports (Form 941’s) as well as W-3 and W-2’s for the year ended December 31, 2020.
Due to recent legislation, we will need additional information from you to complete your 2020 tax returns, please answer the questions below:
- Did any employees take leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) act in 2020? Y / N
- Did you defer deposit and payment of the employer’s portion of social security tax during 2020? Y / N
- Did your employees defer any social security tax during 2020? Y / N
- Did you receive any of the following during 2020:
- PPP loan(s) Y / N If yes was it in excess of $2M? Y / N
- EIDL loan(s) Y / N
- State or Local Grants/Loans, etc. related to COVID-19? Y / N
- Did you apply for PPP loan forgiveness as of December 31, 2020? Y / N
The Internal Revenue Service requires all taxpayers to answer the following questions on their federal income tax return. Please provide your response to the following questions:
- Did the company make any payments in 2020 that would require it to file Form(s) 1099? Y / N
- If yes, did or will the company file all required Forms 1099? Y / N
- At any time during 2020, did you receive, sell, send, exchange, or otherwise acquire any financial interest in any virtual currency? Y / N
- At any time during 2020, did the company have an interest in or a signature or other authority over a financial account in a foreign country (such as a bank account, securities account, or other financial account)? Y / N
Important Melanson Due Dates
W-2 and 1099: January 21, 2021
Partnership (1065): February 15, 2021
S Corporation (1120S): February 15, 2021
Corporation (1120): March 17, 2021
Individual (1040): March 17, 2021
*Please note that any information received after the above dates may require us to file an extension request.
How to Submit
There are two ways to submit your information to us:
This is our preferred method to receive your tax information. Your account can be accessed here via Sharefile.
*Please note that if you have not recently updated your password, you may be required to change it upon logging in.
You may also submit hard copies of all your necessary paperwork to your preferred office location. Please only provide copies to us as we will shred these documents after we have scanned them into our system and will no longer be returning these copies.
If submitting this way, here are some additional ways you can help us:
- Please avoid stapling and/or taping documents as much as possible – we scan each document, so the more staples, paperclips, and tape you use, the longer it takes us to process your return.
- Please avoid using a highlighter and/or post-it notes – they cause significant difficulties while scanning.
- Complete any paperwork in pen – pencil is very difficult to read and scan. If you must use pencil, please make it as dark as possible.
- Please do not clip or staple documents to individual pages.
- Please remove all paperwork from envelopes before submitting them to our office.